Life is a jigsaw puzzle. Every segment of the puzzle is formed by different elements of life. I cherish all my felicity elements, what about you?

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Two weeks notice.

No I am not talking about the movie starring Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock.

I am referring the customary of giving two weeks notice of resignation as a general working scene here in USA. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought in Malaysia an employee would need to give at least 2 months notice, or until the employer is able to employ someone as replacement and have him or her trained. Here, however, two weeks, is what it takes to say good-bye. After that timeframe, you're free to go.

A lot of times it takes months to get a new personnel trained. Yet resigning is THAT easy. Certainly this doesn't make sense to me, what do you think?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey..GA,
It is weird.. but you see.. the labour law in "ang moh" country is for the employees and not for the employer.. so it seems to be.. here in Canada..!
Doesn't make sense to me.. but it's this way..!

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Greenapple said...

guess it's best not to be an employer, then, mamabok hoh? I know it's tough for you and your hubby ... oh well ... i will stick to being employed then.

6:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my contract says 3 months notice but if u really want to leave, nothing can stop u actually. there is no "punishment", they can't black list u either.

7:27 PM

 
Blogger Egghead said...

I think it's a financial matter... people in US get paid weekly, back here is still monthly basis... I guess maybe that's why gua :)

and also I don't think there is so much one-leg-kicing employee in US... so don't really need to hang around and be hated for so long... LOL!

9:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with egg head. Unlike in Msia. They still call u after a month resignation..hahah

8:22 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

welll i guess 2 weeks' notice is good for the employee - not so good for the employer.

7:42 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

here in China seem like does not practise the one-month-noitce too even stated in the working contract.

This monday just get a call from one local employee and he expect to leave on 1st Oct, crazy. BUT we also can not do anything if he does not come back after the long holiday (the max is to hold back his claim for the month)

getting my guy to follow up the rest of the on-going task then....

SIGH

3:27 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

here in China seem like does not practise the one-month-noitce too even stated in the working contract.

This monday just get a call from one local employee and he expect to leave on 1st Oct, crazy. BUT we also can not do anything if he does not come back after the long holiday (the max is to hold back his claim for the month)

getting my guy to follow up the rest of the on-going task then....

SIGH

3:27 AM

 
Blogger Fashionasia said...

I wonder if i can safe more money if im paid weekly instead of monthly....

I think 1 month notice is ok...2 weeks is quite short no? how to find a replacement so soon.....my contract says 2 months notice.

6:35 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Tomato & Greenapple's 8th Dating Anni.
Daisypath Ticker