Life is a jigsaw puzzle. Every segment of the puzzle is formed by different elements of life. I cherish all my felicity elements, what about you?

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Chicken Pie.

I have never made a chicken pie before. Yesterday, out of the blue, I thought of giving it a try as I thought I had most of the needed ingredients on hand.

For the flaky pastry, I used the ready-to-bake puff pastry sheets as mentioned before in my Portuguese Egg Tart post. Flaky result guaranteed. As for the filling, below is the recipe:

Filling:
  • 200g minced chicken meat
  • 1 Bombay onion, diced
  • 100g button mushrooms, quartered
  • 75g potatoes, parboiled till cooked and diced
  • 75g carrots, diced
  • 50g green peas
  • 1/4 tin cream of mushroom soup, diluted with 1/2 tin of water

    Seasoning:
  • Dash of white and black pepper
  • Pinch of salt
  • Pinch of Cajun seasoning
  • Pinch of dried basil
  • Pinch of Oregano leaves
  • To make filling: Heat 2 tbsp butter in wok, then saute onions until soft. Add chicken and button mushrooms. Stir-fry well. Add carrots, potatoes and cream of mushroom soup. Blend in seasoning. Cook for two to three minutes. Add thickening (flour or corn flour) and green peas. Dish out to cool.

    Recipe adapted from Kuali.com.

    p/s: if you have rosemary and thyme, that will taste even better. Sadly, I don't have this. Many other great chicken pie recipe will call for these two herbs.



    Chicken pie. Before baking.


    Chicken Pie. Ready to be served.


    Carefully lay a layer of puff pastry on a pie baking plate. Scoop out the precooked chicken filling over the puff pastry. Instead of covering the dish entirely using the pie crust, I arranged mine into lattice work over the chicken dish. Later on bake at 375 F for around 40 minutes, or until the pie crust is golden brown in colour. My pie tasted alright. Maybe I am not a big fan of chicken pie, so I didn't go uuuuhhhh and aaarrrhhhh even if it was my own work. I had pineapple tomato and corn salad as well as canned mushroom soup to go with it.


    Chicken pie with salad and soup.


    I had some extra crust leftover from the pie, so I had a little fun by cutting the crust using my gingerbread cookie cutter. I wanted to dress them up, but I did not have a chance to execute my plan at all as Tomato was way to fast to grab them and munched with the soup. Oh well, better luck next time.

    Just an ordinary meal, in an ordinary day.


    After-note:
    The leftover pie tasted better when I consumed it the next day. Maybe leftover does taste better than the fresh one. Haha.

    10 Comments:

    Blogger shiaulin said...

    haha.. here i am again :D

    wow looks yummy but i am too lazy to try this type of food, too many steps to follow :P

    11:26 PM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I don't mind you sedn some ginger bread man to me hahaha...

    BTW, 你被点了 -- http://www.mariahlc.com/blog/?p=421

    12:23 AM

     
    Blogger Jess said...

    hi, my first visit here...
    love your food recepi, looks yummy! Wish i could try to cook all in future!

    4:21 AM

     
    Blogger ZMM said...

    wah.. you even have time to 'weave' for the pie crust.

    You just baked it directly on a baking plate?

    Hmm, I haven't tried baking a pie in my new oven, maybe I should try.

    Ginger bread man looks cute too, it's done using a cookie cutter?

    4:26 AM

     
    Blogger Gina said...

    Goodness gracious! Salivating just from the looks of it!!

    Merry Christmas, Emma!

    3:12 AM

     
    Blogger Greenapple said...

    hey shiaulin, good to see you again. actually, chicken pie isn't that tough to make, provided you have the ready-to-bake puff pastry sheets.

    maria, i bet you can make gingerbread yourself... and you'll have great fun to decorate those little men with your gals.

    jesslyn, welcome to my lil' corner. hope to see you around.

    agnes, you asked some great question! thanks for asking and i shall do some modifications soon. the chicken filling are actually on a layer of puff pastry. yeah, it's done using a cookie cutter.

    gina, thanks. merry christmas to you too, Gina.

    10:48 PM

     
    Blogger mom2ashley said...

    wow looks good there!

    10:54 PM

     
    Blogger boo_licious said...

    Aww, that looks so good! I wish that was my dinner tnite. I "pinjamed" your lovely pix for the blog review - hope you don't mind.

    5:07 AM

     
    Blogger Greenapple said...

    mom2ashley, thanks.

    boo, by all means, be my guest. thanks for your work.

    9:04 AM

     
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    best regards, nice info » » »

    3:30 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home

     

    Tomato & Greenapple's 8th Dating Anni.
    Daisypath Ticker