Life is a jigsaw puzzle. Every segment of the puzzle is formed by different elements of life. I cherish all my felicity elements, what about you?

Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas Dinner.


This is what I prepared for my Christmas dinner. As you can see, there is spanakopita (Greek spinach pie), baked Salmon fish on a bed of mashed sweet potatoes, top with special roasted onion, and baked string beans with turkey bacon.


All dishes are inspired by chefs from Food Network. The food tasted okay, but I had a depressing day because my yule log, which was designated to be the dessert of my Christmas dinner, didn't turn out the way I wanted it to be. It was supposed to be like the picture showing on your right. The cake I baked was all cracked up, I couldn't even frost it. And the frosting I made, melted. Sigh. I ended up having a sinful-but-cracked chocolate fudge cake. It tasted good, but didn't have a shape, at all.







Another depressing thing is that the spanakopita didn't turn out the shape I desired. Spanakopita, traditionally, are made in flag shapes, like the picture showing on your left. Though been forewarned before I played with the phyllo dough, I thought I would be alright. Little did I know that phyllo dough really is an ingredient that requires experience to play with. So I ended up with all sorts of shapes, from square, to irregular, to I-dunno-what shape. Oh well, as long as they're still in a parcel-like, huh? The taste of the spanakopita was alright, except I would prefer having cream cheese as filling, instead of Ricotta cheese. I will use the former instead, should I try to make this again.

The string beans, hmmm, the idea itself was kinda fun, but I think I shall boil the bean lightly in boiling water before sending them into the oven. The beans got kinda dried-up at the edges. If I could preserve the crunchiness entirely, that would be ideal.

Aiks, at least the Salmon and mash potatoes top with special roasted onion (flavoured with Balsamic Vinegar) was great. This is an attempt to cook a ristorante-level food. The overall end result? Aigh.

No, I should not be deterred by this small lil' failure, but carry on my assiduous attempts in my culinary exploration.

I hope you had a great Christmas celebration. I look forward to reading your wonderful stories in your blogs. Seeya.



9 Comments:

Blogger day-dreamer said...

Looks delicious!

Have a Happy New Year (now that Christmas is over)!!

12:33 PM

 
Blogger mom2ashley said...

nevertheless...the food looks YUMMY!!!! have a good one!

8:57 AM

 
Blogger ZMM said...

It still looks good though, your food...

And what an effort.

How many people did you have over for your Christmas meal?

1:37 AM

 
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

delish! great stuff

2:47 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey...good attempt! it look very well present even though I could taste it, but it really looks yummy, well done.

9:11 AM

 
Blogger shiaulin said...

As long as it has tasted great, who cares how its look likes? ;)

11:30 AM

 
Blogger Samm said...

Gawd, u can really cook, man. Bet all the men would love to have you to themselves, lol. You're so gonna make em fat!!!

1:10 PM

 
Blogger Greenapple said...

Dear readers,

Many thanks for your kind words.
I look forward to cooking something for you all one day. =)

Happy new year!

1:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool blog, interesting information... Keep it UP Newcastle air hockey table vacuum cleaner bag Desactive parental control insurance executive recruiter aon Clinical studies of pain relief in alzheimers Certification+mcse+training allegra indications Car alarms by outlaw female vibrators toyota matrix cargo mat Bmw 325is problems credit cards by credit score

3:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Tomato & Greenapple's 8th Dating Anni.
Daisypath Ticker