Braised Chinese Mushrooms with Hard-boiled Eggs in Fragrant 5 Spices Sauce
You can actually make this dish with chicken feet, pig's trotter, pork ribs, or even pork tenderloin. But I cooked mine meatless.
- a few hard-boiled eggs
- 3 cups of Chinese Mushrooms, soaked, remove the stems
- 2 star anice
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 clove of chopped garlic
- around 10-15 cloves of garlic, unpeel
- 1 tsp of 5 spice powder
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1.5 cup of water
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- a pinch of white pepper
- 1/2 tbsp of corn starch
- 1/4 cup of water
- Soak the chinese mushroom, remove the stems, slice the mushroom into half if the size of the mushroom is rather large.
- Prepare some hard-boiled eggs. Click here if you need the recipe of hard-boiled eggs.
- Heat oil in a wok (or pot) and lightly fry the chopped garlic, star anice, cloves, and cinnamon sticks until you get the aroma.
- Put in the mushrooms as well as the unpeel garlics and continue to fry for a few minutes. Fry until well combine.
- Put in the 5 spice powder, oyster sauce, light and dark soy sauce. Continue frying for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the hard-boiled eggs, pour in the water. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Cover and let simmer for about 30 minutes. Then add in the seasonings.
- If you prefer to have thicker sauce, add the thickening. Otherwise, this step can be omitted.
- The dish is ready to be served. Goes really well with rice.