Life is a jigsaw puzzle. Every segment of the puzzle is formed by different elements of life. I cherish all my felicity elements, what about you?

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Chicken Vindaloo.

When you have your roti canai in mamak store in Malaysia, which type of gravy do you normally prefer? Dhal or kuah ayam (Malay, kuah: gravy; ayam: chicken)? I always go for the latter. Have you ever wonder what type of curry is that? (the curry that mamak stores would normally offer as kuah?)

I have been searching the recipe of such curry for quite a while. I mean, I am sure that it is neither ordinary curry chicken, nor any assam dishes. So, what would it be, then? A few weeks ago, I had a dinner at my friend's place. She made this dish that is known as Chicken Vindaloo from a recipe that is taken from one of her Amy Beh's cookbook . I am glad that she did. The minute I sampled such dish, I knew my search was over! This is it!

Ingredient :
600g chicken thighs, chopped into bite-sized
3 tbsp oil
1 Bombay onion, diced
1 stalk curry leaves
1 tomato, diced
3 tbsp meat curry powder, mixed with a little water into paste
1 tbsp tomato puree ( I think tomato sauce is fine. Actually I used tomato paste yesterday)
125 ml water
lemongrass (optional)

Marinade :
1/2 cup plain yogurt,
2 tbsp lemon juice,
1 tbsp pounded garlic,
1 tbsp ginger paste,
1/2 tsp salt,
1/4 tbsp cumin seeds (optional),
1/4 ground black pepper.

Seasoning:
1/2 - 1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper


Method :


1. Season chicken pieces with the marinade for several hours or preferably overnight in the refrigerator.





2. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a pot. Fry the onions until soft and fragrant. Add curry leaves, lemongrass, diced tomato and curry powder paste and fry until oil separates.


3. Put in marinated chicken, tomato puree and water. Then cover and cook simmered over a moderate heat until gravy is thick and chicken is cooked and tender.





4. Add seasoning. Serve garnished with Coriander leaves.

Needless to say, the best way to savour this dish, is to have it with roti canai, like fellow Malaysians do. I actually like this curry recipe a lot, as it doesn't require too much ingredients. You don't even need coconut milk for this recipe, only yoghurt, and curry powder, and you're almost there.

10 Comments:

Blogger mom2ashley said...

looks absolutely delicious!

8:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyy!!! i'm dying of envy now..!! oops..!! i'm turning green too..!!! ;)

11:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is too good...OK. tomorrow curry chicken.

2:09 AM

 
Blogger shiaulin said...

wow good, i like this curry too! definitely will cook it one day, wait until i come back from malaysia first.

BTW, i tagged u. check it out at my site.

2:17 AM

 
Blogger Greenapple said...

mom2ashley, oh, thanks for your words.

mamabok,haha, you're so funny. do give it a try, it's easy.

maria, good idea.

shiaulin, alright, thanks for the tag. have a safe trip back to m'sia.

6:13 PM

 
Blogger ZMM said...

Hey, you have started doing food blogging??!!

But the recipes looks great! And the photos too.

10:22 AM

 
Blogger Greenapple said...

zara's mum, nah, just, wanna jot things down, and share. that's all. thanks for the nice words. it's easy, ask your maid to cook this, she would probably like it too.

4:11 AM

 
Blogger rokh said...

this one looksa really delish. and simple too. will try it out. thanks

7:07 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

aiseh...shaiulin forgot about the tomato or else tonight i would have my curry with roti canai too....

but is it weird to have roti canai on 'chap go me' ?? hahaha we follow chinese here to have 'tong yuan' tonight..

:)

5:39 AM

 
Blogger BLINDS DIRECT ONLINE said...

I could eat that right now - great cooking! Take a look at my Curry Recipes - give them a go and let me know!

9:51 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Tomato & Greenapple's 8th Dating Anni.
Daisypath Ticker