Life is a jigsaw puzzle. Every segment of the puzzle is formed by different elements of life. I cherish all my felicity elements, what about you?

Monday, September 19, 2005

Not So M'sian Style Fried Hokkien Udon

In a typical plate of fried hokkien mee in Malaysia, you'll see fried lard and thick fat yellow noodles. It is the aroma from the lard while frying the noodles that makes a plate of fried hokkien mee to be so irresistable. Despite the fact that this food will bring no good to one's health, it is it's unique flavour that make this noodle a signature dish of Malaysian Chinese food. Well, sort of.

Personally, I am not a fan of lard. Hmm, preferably not any of them. So, if I'm ever making a plate of fried hokkien mee for myself, it is definite that I will omit this item as part of the ingredients.

This is what I made:
A vegetarian meal it is. I used fresh button mushrooms, firm beancurd, and choy sum to go with my udon. The reason to use udon over typical fat yellow noodles was that, well, you don't get such noodles outside Malaysia as far as I know. So, udon was the closest option I got to have. Let me assure you, though, that udon could still resemble the taste pretty close to the real thing.

Well, how does it look? I was satisfied anyhow as it was the best I could have when I am far far away from home and getting hawker food like this is absolutely impossible.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell me about impossible..!! Arrrgghh..!! i miss hawker food so much..!! i could kill for it.. !!
I'm not a big fan of lard either.. but now that i'm in canada for this long.. lard me .. anytime.. hahah!!

11:36 PM

 
Blogger Greenapple said...

oh big bok! thanks for dropping by! i've been a fan of your blog and I love your adorable Chloe! Yes, I was in Halifax , Nova Scotia, Canada for the previous years. The first time I could recognize your location was when I saw your comment about Sobeys! Yes, the world is small, eh?

And I'm a big user of 'eh' until now. Can't change. It's in me already.

2:13 AM

 
Blogger Babe_KL said...

hey i uses udon for this too, it's so yummy and no alkaline on the noodle.

8:25 PM

 
Blogger Greenapple said...

oh babe_kl i have to agree with you regarding the alkaline taste in yellow noodles. Yes, udon absolutely makes a great alternative, perhaps even a better option to opt for.

3:32 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Tomato & Greenapple's 8th Dating Anni.
Daisypath Ticker